Check Out Our Shop
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59
Results 1,451 to 1,472 of 1472
    The last storm didn't seem like it would be huge but it took this bridge out. Looks like a heavy palm root ball came tumbling down and took out footings on one side like a bowling ball. The bridge deck was not affected and still together in one solid unit.

We planned to disconnect the ramps from the center span and use those as a temporary bridge. But after getting one end off and removing the footings we were able to slowly lift the longer section back into place and get it stable. Then we excavated a bit and got the loose end sitting stable. So now we'll try and stake them in and see if this will hold up permanently rather than rebuilding the whole thing.

Before and after

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    The last storm didn't seem like it would be huge but it took this bridge out. Looks like a heavy palm root ball came tumbling down and took out footings on one side like a bowling ball. The bridge deck was not affected and still together in one solid unit.

We planned to disconnect the ramps from the center span and use those as a temporary bridge. But after getting one end off and removing the footings we were able to slowly lift the longer section back into place and get it stable. Then we excavated a bit and got the loose end sitting stable. So now we'll try and stake them in and see if this will hold up permanently rather than rebuilding the whole thing.

Before and after

Cool bridge work. It's not often that you see land managers on board with wood work like that.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Hey mags,

Apologies in advance for the thread hijack. I'll delete this if the mods want.

Gravity Logic is hiring excavator operators for the 2024 build season. We have Canadian jobs on the both the East Coast and West Coast this summer.

If you're an experienced machine operator, check out the link below.

We're currently looking for Canadian operators, but if you're an American operator and looking for a job, drop us an email. We have contracts south of the border as well. We're all staffed up for our USA jobs at the moment, but this could change.

Pay is $28-36/hour depending on experience, plus a per diem for days on the road. Opportunity to work up to 60 hours/week with OT after 40 hours.

https://www.whistlergravitylogic.com/careers

I started a specific thread for this so if you have any questions feel free to DM me or drop them in the other thread.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...4-build-season

/endthreadhijack
    Last edited by Clownshoe; 04-13-2024 at 10:40 AM.

It's that time of year....

Hero points there.

We all came back from trail ride bleeding, pricker bushes getting bigger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's that time of year....

Hats off to you for that. Hurts my back to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Mine hurt a little too, but not as much as my feet. Worth it as this section sucked to ride. It crosses a creek bed numerous times and the brush wants to push you off the desired line.

Finished brushing the whole section and also built a re-route to get the trail out of one section of creek bed.

Much better now....

I volunteer with the city in a series of 3 connected parks and organized a trail day with the rangers on a Sunday. They let us use gas powered tools (often not allowed late Feb to Aug due to bird nesting) and we had 5 power tools out. With 7 people we got 1.1 miles brushed including the worst sections in the park. Lots more to do but this was a big chunk of it.

Some randoms from the past month
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240414_155202_895.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	492949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240414_155202_991.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	492950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240414_155202_331.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	492951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240414_155202_411.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	492952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240414_155202_583.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	270.6 KB 
ID:	492953

Mine hurt a little too, but not as much as my feet. Worth it as this section sucked to ride. It crosses a creek bed numerous times and the brush wants to push you off the desired line.

Finished brushing the whole section and also built a re-route to get the trail out of one section of creek bed.

Much better now....

Good grief! Everything I don't want to see when building!

Prime loam berm and hole filling season

Name:	20240506_145932.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	493225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240506_150903.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	493226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240506_152421.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	493227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240506_154541.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	331.1 KB 
ID:	493228

I've always been quick to clear blowdowns, but geez the trees here are big! And on steep grades that make me nervous as to what type of shift will happen once cut. I need to find some arborists to work with. This is the latest one I ran into. There are 4 other big ones down. 2 of the 4 are above my pay grade.

Just ordered a battery powered hedge trimmer, as our wet winter has all the grass, blackberry vines, nettles, and poison oak going OFF. Last week I tried clearing a ~100ft section by hand and it took a couple hours, so the $150 for a trimmer will pay for itself the first time out. I'm sure a weedwhacker would be faster than the trimmer, but I don't want to deal with that in a pack riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Just ordered a battery powered hedge trimmer, as our wet winter has all the grass, blackberry vines, nettles, and poison oak going OFF. Last week I tried clearing a ~100ft section by hand and it took a couple hours, so the $150 for a trimmer will pay for itself the first time out. I'm sure a weedwhacker would be faster than the trimmer, but I don't want to deal with that in a pack riding.
    I bought a battery powered hedge trimmer a couple years ago. And yeah, a big weedwacker / brushcutter works better, but the hedge trimmer does pretty well. Much, much easier than doing it by hand.

I have both, but have only used the hedge trimmer on trail. I don't think I would want to use a weed whacker on poison oak.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Good grief! Everything I don't want to see when building!
    Ha! Here is the rest of the quad-fecta, from yesterday.

I didn't actually notice the bear when I took the pic. This trail is way out there and I was surprised someone cut back the branches on this downed tree. I had hauled a chain saw in to do just that. After putting the phone away I looked up and saw the bear, about half the distance from where he is here. Then was too busy hollering at him to take it back out. But looks like I got him the first time : ) He took off down the trail where I was planning to do more work, so I backtracked and did some brushing back where I'd come from. The chainsaw was actually really good for cutting manzanita, white thorn and other thick brush.

Not pictured: the tick that was burrowing into the back of my thigh. Of the four, ticks are by far what worry and gross me out the most.

Name:	PXL_20240507_234623209.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	992.3 KB 
ID:	493294
    Last edited by evdog; 05-08-2024 at 01:56 PM.

I've been running a Ryobi hedge trimmer for a few years now. Love that thing. It cuts through a lot of brush up to about 1/2" diameter pretty well. It doesn't cut thick / tall grass along the trail very well. A weedwacker will do much better there.

A couple things I found by trial and error. Run it at full power whenever you cut. It can jam up pretty easily if you feather the trigger instead. I also found the small 1.5 and 2Ah batteries tools come with to be pretty useless. It doesn't take long to burn through those and the battery doesn't seem to deliver as much power when the charge is down to half or less...which means the hedger can jam easily again. I bought 4Ah batteries and they last much more than double the 2Ah. I'll buy even larger ones next time.

I don't like to use any power tool on PO. If the PO is thick I just whack away at it with a hand rake. PO stems are weak and break easily. If it's not thick I'll cut it back with one of these - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-...935K/100041609. Keeps your hands away from the brush. And where the stuff is a persistent problem on trails I ride a lot, I nuke it with brush killer.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I've always been quick to clear blowdowns, but geez the trees here are big! And on steep grades that make me nervous as to what type of shift will happen once cut. I need to find some arborists to work with. This is the latest one I ran into. There are 4 other big ones down. 2 of the 4 are above my pay grade.
    I'd highly recommend trying to get certified as a sawyer by the Forest Service. The course is offered infrequently for volunteers but they will teach you how to deal with blowdowns like that. The trick is finding when a course is happening. It's primarily for volunteer orgs that work under a stewardship agreement with the FS but if you make contacts, you can often get in through one of those groups even if you don't volunteer for them directly. Friends of mine in LA had to go up to Sequoia NF to get trained since the Angeles NF doesn't have funding to run the course.

I'd highly recommend trying to get certified as a sawyer by the Forest Service. The course is offered infrequently for volunteers but they will teach you how to deal with blowdowns like that. The trick is finding when a course is happening. It's primarily for volunteer orgs that work under a stewardship agreement with the FS but if you make contacts, you can often get in through one of those groups even if you don't volunteer for them directly. Friends of mine in LA had to go up to Sequoia NF to get trained since the Angeles NF doesn't have funding to run the course.
    That sounds cool. I'll check with the SC trail stewardship to see if they know.

Cut a few today before batteries died. The last one where my battery died is a bit tricky. Ideally could use another hand to finish that one off. Have some opposing forces at play.

Finished this one off today. Went well considering the various tension and compressions going on. Made a little up n over option for the Danny MacAskill'ers

Any of you PNW riders, Roslyn specifically, come across Tamarack Trail Builders by chance?
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy