Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ^^^ Sorry man.

Already questioning my decision to buy a pass at the local golf pasture. 4 times out on the Par 3 and my right shoulder is not impressed.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have been avoiding this thread, partially out of optimism that my situation would resolve itself, and partially not to concern WRG.
    Basically, I had surgery on my shoulder in Jan. to ‘fix’ a previous surgery. Well, I gambled and I lost, as my shoulder now is basically destroyed, and I need a total replacement.
    Ironically, I rode better, faster, stronger, and In more control in Peru last year than I ever have been in my life.
    As of today, it’s looking increasingly likely that I basically can’t ride this year, which is hugely depressing at 57. (How many years could I possibly actually shred again, even with a full recovery by ‘25?).
    I’ll post more details, but I am in a world of hurt, physically and psychically.
    Could be way worse, and I have a lot of other things to be thankful for, but it has been rough.
    Dude that sucks. I know a 40 year old that needs both shoulders replaced. Combination of riding/surfing hard (maybe one of the best snowboarders I have ever seen in person in my life) and a car wreck in his early 20s.

I’m posting pessimistically in the hopes that I am proven wrong, as I often am, LOL!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

How many years could you shred again? At 57?

I missed a summer of mtb in 2017 after breaking my clavicle, scapula and first rib (unplanned dismount from my mtb). I hiked instead..
    I missed a summer in 2019 after a robotic prostatectomy (sitting on a saddle not advised for 3 months after that!). I hiked instead.
    I had a partial lung resection in 2022, walked 13 miles 2 days post-op, rode my gravel bike 6 weeks later after getting the go-ahead from the surgeon.

This winter I did maybe 20 days alpine, 15 touring and 20 days Nordic - not bad for an El Niño winter, and I’m back on the mountain bike now. I’m 68. Not intending to brag here, just provide some perspective. I can ski and ride as hard as I ever did, but I don’t recover as quickly after a hard day, and I have to work harder to stay fit (thank you Cascade Endurance - Cody’s trainer I believe btw), and stay flexible (thank you Eric Wong, Precision Movement - I use the ROM coach app). It really sucks not exercising and doing what feeds you, but at 57 you have many years of going for it still ahead of you. Good luck with your shoulder…..

At 73 I ski as hard as I ever did. By which I mean I work as hard as ever to go a lot slower , quit a lot sooner, and hurt a lot more.

Oh, I fully intend to ride at some level until I’m yanked off the bike like in the Gong show.
    But I am coming off riding extremely dangerous terrain, at ridiculous speeds. When I say ‘shred’, I mean at a competetive level comparable to late 30 year olds. I only really learned to ride fast in the past five years.
    WRG knows what I’m talking about!

Oh, update: I think I had a radical psychological breakthrough about a week ago, and I can’t really attribute it to anything, but I actually have been riding, and getting back to strength slowly. I have to say, the ebike is an AMAZING recovery tool, as I only have to exert a fraction of upper-body strength to get it to go where I want. It’s remarkable.

I had the fucked up shoulder at the same time I had just got my very first set of Shimano SPD's they were set up at 9 way too high which I didnt know about so I didnt get out & fell over a number of time on that bad shoulder which was fucking painful

I was long time spd but I went flat on the e-bike mostly worrying about the blown acl in any case if you are on SPD's consider going flat

also that you have become the anti christ
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-19-2024 at 01:27 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Oh, update: I think I had a radical psychological breakthrough about a week ago, and I can’t really attribute it to anything, but I actually have been riding, and getting back to strength slowly. I have to say, the ebike is an AMAZING recovery tool, as I only have to exert a fraction of upper-body strength to get it to go where I want. It’s remarkable.
    Awesome!!

Got cut today. Fucking nerve blocks are crazy. Getting that needle in my next was kinda not super cool.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Awesome!!

Got cut today. Fucking nerve blocks are crazy. Getting that needle in my next was kinda not super cool.

Be careful and stay ahead of the pain meds as that wears off. It can be pretty rough if you wait too long

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Awesome!!

The bruising that sets in from the nerve block is pretty random too.

Also, I had good luck with oversized flannel shirts. They were pretty much the only thing I could get on and off without too much assistance for the first few weeks.
    Last edited by Touring_Sedan; 04-19-2024 at 10:14 PM.

You got this, WRG! I bet you would have rather been in Vegas, LOL.
    The nerve block terrifies me, all I could think about was if the surgeon had accidentally cut a nerve, and I I was paralyzed in that arm…

The nerve block terrifies me, all I could think about was if the surgeon had accidentally cut a nerve, and I I was paralyzed in that arm…
    My first time going under the knife they missed a bit with the injection. I didn’t know exactly what to expect and was waiting for things to go numb. They started to wheel me in and I was like “ should I be able to feel this” while lifting the arm and flexing my hand. I was promptly pushed back and had to get further probed by the anesthesiologist.

Are you guys having shoulder surgery with a nerve block and no general anesthesia? That would be pretty unusual ime. Usually you get a nerve block for post op pain prior to surgery with a general anesthetic for the surgery.

I've got a choice of nerve block or just a mix of pre surgery painkiller injections for post surgery pain for my rotator cuff surgery on Thursday. Do you all recommend the nerve block? And yes, I'll have general anesthesia for the surgery itself.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    I've got a choice of nerve block or just a mix of pre surgery painkiller injections for post surgery pain for my rotator cuff surgery on Thursday. Do you all recommend the nerve block? And yes, I'll have general anesthesia for the surgery itself.
    Mine was GA & a nerve block. It's essentially an epidural for your shoulder and mine gradually wore off after about 18 hours.
    I'd recommend the nerve block but it has it's risks, just like GA.

Yes, GA and nerve block post surgery.

Surgery gonna cost me like 7k with insurance lol. Merica! Phish Sphere wouldn't have been much cheaper haha.

The actual experience getting the nerve block is really no enjoyable, but it made post surgery way way more tolerable. GA always makes me feel like shit and at least I wasn't also on a bunch of fent with GA.

Get the nerve block 100%. Mine laster about 16ish hours and I started the 5mg Oxycodone and 1000mg tylenol several hours before it wore off. Current pain is like 4/10 very tolerable.

Also, they give the nerve block BEFORE surgery which was a surprise to me. Since there was a surgery before mine the anesthesiologist gave me the nerve block over an hour before I got wheeled back to the OR. I'm sure they do it this way to see if it's working or not like described above. If you were already under GA and they gave it they wouldn't be able to tell if it worked.

See image of post op crack head below.

“Would you buy a gram/ house from this man?

Lookin’ good!

Best of luck on the rehab!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Fucked up shoulder

One of the reasons they do nerve blocks before surgery is that there is some evidence that disrupting the pain channels before cutting makes the pain less severe.

We do nerve blocks on total knees on every patient unless they decline. They usually get a spinal and block unless they aren’t a candidate for a spinal. Then GA and block. Doesn’t seem to make a difference on the sequence of spinal/block, the block is performed with ultrasound so they know where the vein/artery/nerve is.

I was number one in the lineup as well. Check in was at 6:30 am, cutting at about 7:30, on the way home by 11:30. Nerve block wore off late that night.

For the 1st 14 days sleep was elusive.

One day at a time and yes, you got this.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Fucked up shoulder

Thanks all. Glad to hear the pain isn't too bad WRG! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

And I don't know if I'd buy a house from that man, but I'd surely let him sell our Big Sky condo! He did an awesome job for us last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Thanks all. Glad to hear the pain isn't too bad WRG! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

And I don't know if I'd buy a house from that man, but I'd surely let him sell our Big Sky condo! He did an awesome job for us last summer.
    Good luck on the 25th! I appreciate being able to help you guys with your sale. I'll say good marketing got that one sold. Rates were already bad but we got it sold at a really strong price! If you are bored please write me a short review on Google!

The worst part right now: My guts are barely moving. Other than that I'm not in terrible pain. Only on 2.5mg of Oxycodone this AM with Tylenol. Trying to work but also tired as fuck from not sleeping very well.