Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lyngen, Norway

The guidebooks are good to check out for beta. There’s one on Lofoten, one on Lyngen, and a “safer ski touring in Norway” one that covers both areas and more but only details routes that are on the safer edge of the spectrum.

I mapped some lines from guides for a trip we never took (April 2020); here, if it's helpful: https://caltopo.com/m/N851

I’m a bit short on quality beta for March as we caught the corn in May. We shacked up here and would highly recommend: https://abnb.me/9HTbrjORlHb

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lyngen, Norway

worth spending time in Tromso - it’s cool city with good food, coffee, museums etc. And good skiing nearby too.

20 minute drive from Tromso:

beta bump as a small crew of us looking to head there next spring (2025). still in the planning stages and not sure if going full guide/lodge or piecing together on our own (with likely a few guided days).
    first order is nailing down dates. i think we're thinking somewhere in the mid march to late april time frame. would love to ski pow but also worry about being there during a winter storm w limited viz. equally love to ski corn which would lead me to believe later is better (with maybe better chance for sun viz)? any suggestions appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    beta bump as a small crew of us looking to head there next spring (2025). still in the planning stages and not sure if going full guide/lodge or piecing together on our own (with likely a few guided days).
    first order is nailing down dates. i think we're thinking somewhere in the mid march to late april time frame. would love to ski pow but also worry about being there during a winter storm w limited viz. equally love to ski corn which would lead me to believe later is better (with maybe better chance for sun viz)? any suggestions appreciated.
    That is a good window. Weather is hard to predict, but more stable weather tends to happen then. Going anywhere for a week is challenging, keep your fingers crossed and go for it!

Lyngen, Norway

Brainstorming - you can fly Oslo into Narvik airport - which puts you half a days drive west out to Lofoten or instead north to Tromso/Lyngen. You’d have to be winging it for accommodations but would allow you to be flexible re:destination. You’d also then likely need a half day to drive your rental car back to Narvik though.

Narvik as a city is not worth your precious vacation time - Narvik airport is 30-40min? west of the town though (closer to Lofoten destinations) - and the drive from Narvik airport north to Tromso/Lyngen allows you option of passing through Tamok valley to get some turns there.
    Last edited by bennymac; 03-05-2024 at 04:30 PM.

Lyngen, Norway

Couple quick thoughts as we wrap up our trip. Be aware the country of Norway shuts down for five days for Easter. The is means plan ahead for supplies and expect a bunch of people to be out skiing.

Additionally, Sundays most things are closed or have very reduced hours. This includes gas stations and grocery stores.

I might write up a trip report or just add on here once I’m home at a computer. Or during my layovers.

If anyone wants to buy my Lygnen Alps guide book we can work out a good deal.
    Last edited by kevino; 04-07-2024 at 10:32 PM.

Lyngen, Norway

Guess I can’t add pictures via the app.

We flew into Svolvær for the Lofoten islands. Extra flight made it easy, plus the tiny airport is sweet. We flew into Tromsø to access the Lygnen alps. Plenty of options.

Had rental cars and airbnb for both places. Again, just made life easiest and to cook for ourselves . Reminder, bring a card that has a PIN and some some gas stations don’t accept American cards period. However, we had a hybrid car, drove quite a bit for a week, only had to fill up the tank when returning.

Weather/temps seemed milder at the Lofoten islands. Had colder temps and more wind in Lyngen.

Terrain is smaller but seemed easier to get away from crowds compared to Lyngen. Lyngen was super busy everywhere we went. Obviously you can always push out further, but I do that enough in Montana. That being said we also went into the Tamok region just south of the Alps and broke trail all day.

I brought extra gear like ropes harness etc but never needed them. You can access more than enough easy and steep terrain with just crampons and ice axe. We were told to bring ski crampons, never used them.
    Last edited by kevino; 04-07-2024 at 10:32 PM.

My stoke is getting really high.

Just booked a sail & ski out of Tromso, skiing six days in Lyngen in mid-April next year. Never been, and this thread has been already helpful. I wanted to ask a couple of questions. First is maybe a version of a question already asked but...we have seen from afar bad years where the Alps in continental Europe are almost blanked. Yet I have never heard (nor wasn't paying particular attention to...but) of Norway being blanked in a similar fashion. I might guess a place like Lyngen particularly has normal ups and down but is fairly reliable being right on the ocean with endless North Sea storm fuel. Is that oversimplifying? We picked April hoping it might be near peak snowpack regardless. Has anyone heard of just dire winters up there, or is it a pretty good bet that there's always something good to ski?

Here's another unrelated question. I get various results reading about overall tipping culture in Norway. But I might guess guide culture overrides in this case; is it customary to tip the guides (and how much?) and boat skipper?

I don’t have answers - but I’m stoked from a distance just hearing about your plans.

My uneducated guess having only been there once is you’d have to have horrible horrible luck to get washed out that time of year. We went late April and it was great. If I were to go again I’d go mid April like you are.

That is reassuring, and kinda what my gut feel was. Cheers!